We expect a lot from women.We want them to lead, manage, coordinate and juggle life, leadership and career. Often this results in women prioritising themselves last in a long to-do list. The guilt women carry for making the simplest investment in themselves and their career needs to stop! I want women to lose the guilt, start investing time and effort in themselves and importantly, get the career advice they need!
When you lose the guilt and get the career advice you need, you will:
- Understand yourself better;
- Know your strengths and skills and how to play to them;
- Position you to do more of what you love and less of what you don’t;
- Earn what you’re worth!
I know that when women lose the guilt and get the career advice they need, the world gets more of what it needs. More women in leadership.
Get Career Advice You Need
In her Ted Talk watched over 3 million times, Susan Colantuono says you must get the career advice you need, not what you’ve always received! Both Susan I provide this advice to women in leadership or those that aspire to it:
- You must understand that traditional women’s leadership training, development & advice will get you to the middle, not the top of your organisation;
- You must embrace your identity as a leader;
- You must identify and act to close your leadership gaps, particularly if those gaps are your business, strategic and financial acumen.
If you haven’t developed your business, strategic, and financial acumen, you are unlikely to be promoted. You need to be able to understand where your organization is going, what its strategy is, what financial targets it has in place, and what your role is in moving the organization forward.
Closing the (Women in Leadership) Gap
Whether you are a woman who has actively sought leadership, or you have had leadership “thrust upon you”, you have a responsibility far beyond what you imagined. Your responsibility is both to the craft of leadership and to the women in leadership that will come after you.
Closing your leadership skills gaps can be likened to getting fit and being healthy. If you wanted to be fitter and more healthy, then you would identify and act, wouldn’t you? You might get a gym membership, start eating healthy or engage a personal trainer to help keep you committed, focussed and accountable.
Why not use the same formula for your career?
- Lose weight: lose incomplete career advice, ineffective mentoring and a lack of confidence.
- Get fit: learn about the importance of self-awareness, business, leadership and personal brand skils and practice.
- Be healthy: discover your purpose, your vision and values then build a career advancement plan.
These are simple steps but require you to be committed and disciplined. It also requires you to surround yourself with people who can provide you with support and expertise.
Not Fixing Women
Our development experiences are not designed to ‘fix’ women, they are designed to provide the strategies, tools and the practical actions to women who are serious about advancing their career and financial prospects. By enabling and empowering women to learn in a balanced way, at a pace that suits them, we prevent women from feeling overwhelmed (especially given women are still doing the majority of unpaid labour!) Importantly, we ensure that women aren’t continuing to follow conventional advice given to women and provide them with the development experiences and support that will close their leadership gaps.
If you’re one of the many women who feel like you’ve been doing everything right at work, taking all the right advice, and STILL not moving up in the organization, then it’s definitely time to lose the guilt and get the career advice you need.
When we realised how many women weren’t getting this important message, we created A Career that Soars, a leadership and career development resource built around a global community of career-motivated women.
We’re helping women to:
- become more confident, inspiring and credible
- create rewarding careers and
- elevate themselves into senior and executive leadership positions
By joining us you will learn:
- strategies to strengthen and demonstrate your business, strategic and financial knowledge
- how to be more confident and credible
- how to overcome imposter syndrome
- how to capitalize on your uniqueness as a leader
- how to make the most of mentoring – and earn sponsorship!
- strategies specific to your career stage, from entry-level to C-Suite
Lose the Guilt and Join Us
It’s time to lose the guilt and get the career advice you need. Come and be part of an engaging community of your peers, make a difference to other women, and see your career soar!